- Must NEVER use a piercing ‘gun’
- CPR certification
- First aid certification
- Bloodborne pathogens certification
- 1 year provable piercing experience
- Business licence/registration with local council for body piercing
- Treatment liability insurance
- 360′ Video walk through of shop and studio, narrated, filmed horizontally and no longer than 15 minutes.
- All counter surfaces in the piercing room and counter area must be non porous and easily disinfected
- All wall surfaces in the piercing room must be non porous and easily disinfected (no soft furnishings)
- All flooring must be non porous and easily disinfected
- Clear separation between clean and contaminated spaces (minimum 4 feet distance)
- Correct signage (bio waste, fire exits, hand washing)
- An ultrasonic (if applicable)
- A B-class Autoclave, or statim with records
- Hands-free waste bins
- Hands free bio waste bin
- Separate, dedicated hand washing facilities (in room)
- Liquid soap dispenser and paper towel dispenser
- Completely enclosed piercing room (Closable door and floor to ceiling walls unless structurally restricted)
- The piercing room to be used solely for piercing and jewellery changes. (No point of sales or other treatments)
- An enclosed dedicated sterilizing space, separate to any working area or restrooms. Hydrim / washer disinfector are acceptable in the piercing room.
- Sterilized implements must be kept in sealed containers
- Labelled Bio hazards container for used tools (if applicable)
- Meet the minimum jewellery standards (find out list of verified titanium suppliers here)
- No previously worn jewellery to be used for new piercings
- Helix testing daily, recorded with date and cycle number, per legal requirements & manufactures instructions
- Wall mounted sharps bin
- Sterile single use assistance implements, such as corks, elastic bands etc
- Single use marking implements
- Completely separate heated ultrasonic designated ONLY for processing new, non-contaminated jewellery or an anodising set up, including a steamer.
- Hands free controls for hands washing facilities
- Seal-able, Bio-hazards container for used tools
- Completely sterile assistance implements, corks, bands etc
- Use of aseptic technique for performing piercings. This can be either the use of sterile gloves, or another tool based technique.
- Naked below the elbow down following hand hygiene. Protected religious symbols are exempt from this rule.
- A HEPA air filter or similar in the piercing room.
- Single use transfer pins
- No nail polish, gels or false nails
Initial membership set up fee £100 annual renewal £30
Failure to comply with updated requirements will result in the full application fees being charged again.
VIDEO MUST BE CONTINUOUS, UNCUT, AND NARRATED – Videos that have been edited or are without narration will not be accepted.
Videos must be shot horizontally and no longer than 15 minutes. Applicants that submit un narrated, vertically shot, or longer than 15 minute videos will be asked to resubmit.
Upload the video to YouTube. Set to unlisted and Creative Commons license; go to info and settings > choose advanced settings > Creative Commons license. Save the YouTube link for submission during the application process.
The purpose of submitting a walk through 360º video with your membership application is to help us determine the level of health and safety awareness in your studio. We look for the criteria mentioned on this list, and also note anything that may be a potential hazard to clients or staff.
Items that are required for membership have been labeled in **CAPITALS AND BOLD LETTERING**. Other items are strong suggestions that are not necessarily required for membership.
OUTSIDE AREA – Your video should include the outside of your building, front and back, including all signage.
FRONT LOBBY/COUNTER/DISPLAY AREA – Stand in the center of your lobby and SLOWLY pan around 360º to thoroughly show the area including ceilings and floors.
- THE COUNTER SURFACE MUST BE GLASS, METAL, OR OTHER NON-POROUS SURFACE THAT CAN BE DISINFECTED SEVERAL TIMES A DAY.
- Please show the front, top, and back of your front counter area in detail.
- An EPA approved hard-surface disinfectant, gloves and disposable products such as plastic bags/cups to prevent cross-contamination should be kept at the front counter area.
- Please show us where they are kept.
- Clearly visible signs in the restroom, front counter area, and piercing room should state that clients are not permitted to change or remove jewellery inside of the studio.
- Signs in the restroom and at the employee hand-washing area should indicate proper hand-washing procedures.
- A sign on the door of the sterilization room should state Employees Only.
STERILIZATION / INSTRUMENT PROCESSING ROOM(S) – Stand in the center of the sterilization room and SLOWLY pan around 360º thoroughly showing the door, counter tops, floor, ceiling, sink(s), autoclave(s), HEPA air filter, or other air purification system etc.
- A COMPLETELY SEPARATE, ENCLOSED STERILIZATION ROOM WITH WALLS AND DOOR(S) IS A REQUIREMENT (CURTAINS ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE) FOR REPROCESSING USED IMPLEMENTS, JEWELRY, AND SUPPLIES. NO OTHER SERVICES INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO: TATTOOING, PIERCING, OR RETAIL SALES SHALL OCCUR WITHIN THIS ROOM.
- ALL FLOORING IN THE STERILIZATION ROOM MUST BE NON-POROUS AND EASILY DISINFECTED.
- THERE MUST BE A CLEAR SEPARATION BETWEEN THE CLEAN AREA AND THE DIRTY AREA.
The ultrasonic and dirty sink should be situated at least 4ft away from the clean space. Where space restricts this, a barrier such as a partial wall or plexiglass screen should be used.
- BIOHAZARD AREA SHOULD BE LABELED AS SUCH.
- THERE MUST BE AT LEAST ONE ULTRASONIC OR INSTRUMENT WASHER AVAILABLE FOR PROCESSING DIRTY TOOLS OR EQUIPMENT.
An instrument washer such as a Hydrim located in a separate space inside the piercing is an acceptable alternative to a re-processing room.
- A HEPA air filter or other air purification system etc., or separate ventilation for the sterilization room is strongly suggested.
- Hand washing should never take place at the contaminated sink (a posted sign should state so).
- A sign on the door that reads “Employees Only”
EMPLOYEE LOUNGE AREA – Stand in the center of the area and SLOWLY pan 360º thoroughly showing the floor, ceiling, and countertops), etc.
- NO STERILIZATION OR INSTRUMENT CLEANING EQUIPMENT INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO AUTOCLAVES AND ULTRASONIC UNITS MAY BE HOUSED IN THE EMPLOYEE LOUNGE AREA.
- NO STERILIZATION OR INSTRUMENT CLEANING EQUIPMENT INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO AUTOCLAVES AND ULTRASONIC UNITS MAY BE HOUSED IN THE PUBLIC OR EMPLOYEE RESTROOMS.
- THE RESTROOM USED BY EMPLOYEES MUST HAVE LIQUID SOAP DISPENSER OR A HANDS-FREE DISPENSER AND AN EASY SINGLE HANDED PAPER TOWEL DISPENSER OR A HANDS-FREE DISPENSER.
- Signage in the restroom should indicate jewelry removal/changing is not permitted outside of the piercing room.
EMPLOYEE HAND-WASHING AREA – Stand in the employee hand washing area and SLOWLY pan 360º thoroughly showing the area.
- REASONABLE ACCESS TO AN EMPLOYEE ONLY HAND-WASHING SINK IS MANDATORY. SINKS LOCATED IN THE RESTROOM ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE.
- SINKS IN HAND-WASHING STATION MUST BE EQUIPPED WITH BOTH HOT AND COLD RUNNING WATER.
- THE HAND-WASHING STATION MUST BE EQUIPPED WITH A LIQUID SOAP DISPENSER OR A HANDS-FREE DISPENSER AND AN EASY SINGLE HANDED PAPER TOWEL DISPENSER OR A HANDS-FREE DISPENSER.
PIERCING ROOM – Stand in your piercing room and SLOWLY pan 360º thoroughly showing the floor, ceiling, countertops, inside & outside of ALL cabinets and drawers, HEPA air filter or other air purification system etc.
- THE PIERCING ROOM MUST BE A COMPLETELY ENCLOSED, SEPARATE ROOM WITH WALLS, CEILING AND DOOR(S) (CURTAINS ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE) – Walls do not have to be floor to ceiling but should be a minimum of 8ft tall. This height may vary due to local ordinances etc.
- NO OTHER SERVICES INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO: TATTOOING, HAIR STYLING, OR RETAIL SALES SHOULD NOT TAKE PLACE WITHIN THIS ROOM.
- ALL FLOORING IN THE PIERCING ROOM MUST BE NON-POROUS AND EASILY DISINFECTED.
- ALL SURFACES IN THE PIERCING ROOM MUST BE NON-POROUS AND EASILY CLEANED. THIS INCLUDES BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO PIERCING TABLE, MATS, SHELVING, COUNTERS, ETC.
- STERILIZED PIERCING IMPLEMENTS SHOULD BE KEPT IN ENCLOSED AND NON-POROUS CONTAINERS, DRAWERS, OR CABINETS AND STORED SEPARATELY FROM NON-STERILE ITEMS.
- THE SHARPS CONTAINER SHOULD BE SECURE IN ORDER TO PREVENT ACCIDENTAL SPILLAGE. IT SHOULD BE AT A COMFORTABLE HEIGHT FOR THE SHORTEST PERSON IN THE STUDIO. ONE SOLUTION WOULD BE TO INSTALL A LABELED AREA ABOVE THE TRASH CAN FOR CONTAMINATED MATERIALS, THEREBY ESTABLISHING A SINGLE CONTAMINATED AREA IN THE ROOM.
- Clearly visible delineation between clean areas and dirty areas.
- The sharps container and contaminated-tools tray should not be close to sterilized piercing implements and supplies.
- Used piercing implements should be kept in a lidded, non-porous tray or container that is marked “Biohazard.”. This tray should be used to transport used instruments to the reprocessing area.
- All biohazardous waste containers should be marked “Biohazard,” be lidded, and be foot operated or motion activated. Other lidded trash cans should be labeled “Do Not Touch.”
- Trash cans should be placed in low or no traffic areas to avoid accidental exposure.
- A HEPA air filter or other air purification system should be located in the piercing room.
- All pictures, posters, decorations, and wall hangings should be framed and cleaned frequently.
- As many products as possible should be sterile and single use.
- Marking implements at a minimum must be single use.
- All packaged equipment, sundry jars, and other materials and equipment used during a piercing should be handled only with clean, freshly gloved hands