- Must NEVER use a piercing ‘gun’
- CPR certification
- First aid certification
- Bloodborne pathogens certification
- 1 year provable piercing experience
- Business licence/registration with local council for body piercing
- Treatment liability insurance
- 360′ Video walk through of shop and studio
- All counter surfaces in the piercing room and counter area must be non porous and easily disinfected
- All wall surfaces in the piercing room must be non porous and easily disinfected (no soft furnishings)
- All flooring must be non porous and easily disinfected
- Clear separation between clean and contaminated spaces (minimum 4 feet distance)
- Correct signage (bio waste, fire exits, hand washing)
- An ultrasonic (if applicable)
- A vacuum autoclave with records
- Hands-free waste bins
- Hands free bio waste bin
- Access to hand washing facilities
- Liquid soap dispenser and paper towel dispenser
- Completely enclosed piercing room (Closable door and floor to ceiling walls unless structurally restricted)
- Sterilized implements must be kept in sealed containers
- Labelled Bio hazards container for used tools (if applicable)
- Meet the minimum jewellery standards
- Helix testing daily, per legal requirements & manufactures instructions
- Wall mounted sharps bin
- Sterile single use assistance implements, such as corks, elastic bands etc
- Single use marking implements
*see membership pack for full details
- In room dedicated hand washing facilities
- Hands free controls for hands washing facilities
- Completely separate heated ultrasonic designated ONLY for processing new, non-contaminated jewelry
- A HEPA air filter or similar
- Wall mounted sharps container
- Seal-able, Bio-hazards container for used tools
- An enclosed dedicated sterilizing space, separate to any working area or restrooms
- Single use marking implements
- Completely dedicated piercing room
- Solely pierce with internally threaded appropriate jewellery
- Completely sterile assistance implements, corks, bands etc
Initial membership set up fee £100 annual renewal £30
Failure to comply with updated requirements will result in the full application fees being charged again.
VIDEO MUST BE CONTINUOUS, UNCUT, AND NARRATED – Videos that have been edited or are without narration will not be accepted.
Videos must be shot horizontally. Applicants that submit vertically shot videos will be asked to resubmit. Upload the video to YouTube. Set to unlisted and Creative Commons license; go to info and settings > choose advanced settings > Creative Commons license. Save the YouTube link for submission during the application process.
The purpose of submitting a walk through 360º video with your membership application is to help us determine the level of health and safety awareness in your studio. We look for the criteria mentioned on this list, and also note anything that may be a potential hazard to clients or staff.
Items that are required for membership have been labeled in **CAPITALS AND BOLD LETTERING**. Other items are strong suggestions that are not necessarily required for membership.
OUTSIDE AREA – Your video should include the outside of your building, front and back, including all signage.
FRONT LOBBY/COUNTER/DISPLAY AREA – Stand in the center of your lobby and SLOWLY pan around 360º to thoroughly show the area including ceilings and floors.
- THE COUNTER SURFACE MUST BE GLASS, METAL, OR OTHER NON-POROUS SURFACE THAT CAN BE DISINFECTED SEVERAL TIMES A DAY.
- Please show the front, top, and back of your front counter area in detail.
- An EPA approved hard-surface disinfectant, gloves and disposable products such as plastic bags/cups to prevent cross-contamination should be kept at the front counter area.
- Please show us where they are kept.
- Clearly visible signs in the restroom, front counter area, and piercing room should state that clients are not permitted to change or remove jewelry inside of the studio.
- Signs in the restroom and at the employee hand-washing area should indicate proper hand-washing procedures.
- A sign on the door of the sterilization room should state Employees Only.
STERILIZATION / INSTRUMENT PROCESSING ROOM(S) – Stand in the center of the sterilization room and SLOWLY pan around 360º thoroughly showing the door, counter tops, floor, ceiling, sink(s), autoclave(s), HEPA air filter, or other air purification system etc.
- A COMPLETELY SEPARATE, ENCLOSED STERILIZATION ROOM WITH WALLS AND DOOR(S) IS A REQUIREMENT (CURTAINS ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE) FOR REPROCESSING USED IMPLEMENTS, JEWELRY, AND SUPPLIES. NO OTHER SERVICES INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO: TATTOOING, PIERCING, OR RETAIL SALES SHALL OCCUR WITHIN THIS ROOM.
- ALL FLOORING IN THE STERILIZATION ROOM MUST BE NON-POROUS AND EASILY DISINFECTED.
- THERE MUST BE A CLEAR SEPARATION BETWEEN THE CLEAN AREA AND THE DIRTY AREA. BIOHAZARD AREA SHOULD BE LABELED AS SUCH.
- THERE MUST BE AT LEAST ONE ULTRASONIC OR INSTRUMENT WASHER AVAILABLE FOR PROCESSING DIRTY TOOLS OR EQUIPMENT.
- Use a separate heated ultrasonic designated ONLY for processing new, non-contaminated jewelry, prior to sterilization this should be set up in a “clean” area.
- Another option for processing new, non-contaminated jewelry prior to sterilization is a jewelry steamer.
- The ultrasonic unit and the sink used for rinsing contaminated tools should be positioned as far away from the sterilizer as possible in order to reduce the risk of contaminating freshly autoclaved items. If space is a problem, one solution would be to install a Plexiglas, stainless steel, or other non-porous barrier to divide clean and dirty areas.
- A HEPA air filter or other air purification system etc., or separate ventilation for the sterilization room is strongly suggested.
- Hand washing should never take place at the contaminated sink (a posted sign should state so).
- A sign on the door that reads “Employees Only”
EMPLOYEE LOUNGE AREA – Stand in the center of the area and SLOWLY pan 360º thoroughly showing the floor, ceiling, and countertops), etc.
- NO STERILIZATION OR INSTRUMENT CLEANING EQUIPMENT INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO AUTOCLAVES AND ULTRASONIC UNITS MAY BE HOUSED IN THE EMPLOYEE LOUNGE AREA.
- NO STERILIZATION OR INSTRUMENT CLEANING EQUIPMENT INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO AUTOCLAVES AND ULTRASONIC UNITS MAY BE HOUSED IN THE PUBLIC OR EMPLOYEE RESTROOMS.
- THE RESTROOM USED BY EMPLOYEES MUST HAVE LIQUID SOAP DISPENSER OR A HANDS-FREE DISPENSER AND AN EASY SINGLE HANDED PAPER TOWEL DISPENSER OR A HANDS-FREE DISPENSER.
- Signage in the restroom should indicate jewelry removal/changing is not permitted outside of the piercing room.
EMPLOYEE HAND-WASHING AREA – Stand in the employee hand washing area and SLOWLY pan 360º thoroughly showing the area.
- REASONABLE ACCESS TO AN EMPLOYEE ONLY HAND-WASHING SINK IS MANDATORY. SINKS LOCATED IN THE RESTROOM ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE.
- SINKS IN HAND-WASHING STATION MUST BE EQUIPPED WITH BOTH HOT AND COLD RUNNING WATER.
- THE HAND-WASHING STATION MUST BE EQUIPPED WITH A LIQUID SOAP DISPENSER OR A HANDS-FREE DISPENSER AND AN EASY SINGLE HANDED PAPER TOWEL DISPENSER OR A HANDS-FREE DISPENSER.
- In room hand-washing sinks are preferable.
- The sink used for hand-washing should be hands free (such as motion activated or foot controlled).
PIERCING ROOM – Stand in your piercing room and SLOWLY pan 360º thoroughly showing the floor, ceiling, countertops, inside & outside of ALL cabinets and drawers, HEPA air filter or other air purification system etc.
- THE PIERCING ROOM MUST BE A COMPLETELY ENCLOSED, SEPARATE ROOM WITH WALLS, CEILING AND DOOR(S) (CURTAINS ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE) – Walls do not have to be floor to ceiling but should be a minimum of 8ft tall. This height may vary due to local ordinances etc.
- NO OTHER SERVICES INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO: TATTOOING, HAIR STYLING, OR RETAIL SALES SHOULD TAKE PLACE WITHIN THIS ROOM.
- ALL FLOORING IN THE PIERCING ROOM MUST BE NON-POROUS AND EASILY DISINFECTED.
- ALL SURFACES IN THE PIERCING ROOM MUST BE NON-POROUS AND EASILY CLEANED. THIS INCLUDES BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO PIERCING TABLE, MATS, SHELVING, COUNTERS, ETC.
- STERILIZED PIERCING IMPLEMENTS SHOULD BE KEPT IN ENCLOSED AND NON-POROUS CONTAINERS, DRAWERS, OR CABINETS AND STORED SEPARATELY FROM NON-STERILE ITEMS.
- THE SHARPS CONTAINER SHOULD BE SECURE IN ORDER TO PREVENT ACCIDENTAL SPILLAGE. IT SHOULD BE AT A COMFORTABLE HEIGHT FOR THE SHORTEST PERSON IN THE STUDIO. ONE SOLUTION WOULD BE TO INSTALL A LABELED AREA ABOVE THE TRASH CAN FOR CONTAMINATED MATERIALS, THEREBY ESTABLISHING A SINGLE CONTAMINATED AREA IN THE ROOM.
- Clearly visible delineation between clean areas and dirty areas.
- The sharps container and contaminated-tools tray should not be close to sterilized piercing implements and supplies.
- Used piercing implements should be kept in a lidded, non-porous tray or container that is marked “Biohazard.”. This tray should be used to transport used instruments to the reprocessing area.
- All biohazardous waste containers should be marked “Biohazard,” be lidded, and be foot operated or motion activated. Other lidded trash cans should be labeled “Do Not Touch.”
- Trash cans should be placed in low or no traffic areas to avoid accidental exposure.
- A HEPA air filter or other air purification system should be located in the piercing room.
- All pictures, posters, decorations, and wall hangings should be framed and cleaned frequently.
- As many products as possible should be sterile and single use.
- Marking implements at a minimum must be single use.
- All packaged equipment, sundry jars, and other materials and equipment used during a piercing should be handled only with clean, freshly gloved hands